When my husband and I first moved in together we couldn’t afford very much. In fact, we rented a tiny little apartment that probably was not sanctioned by the city. It had no air conditioning or heating built in at all. The bathroom and kitchen were all one room. And, for that matter, the living room and bedroom were also all one room. However, we could afford the rent so we just made due. I still remember our first winter in that apartment though. We were freezing cold as soon as the first cold snap hit. I still remember using the oven to try to heat the house. This is unsafe but it kind of worked. Then my husband brought home a present for me one day in November. I wrapped it in a newspaper and everything. I was very happy when I opened it. It was a tiny little space heater. We quickly took it out of the box and plugged it into the wall. It quickly blew a breaker. After much trial and error we discovered that we could plug the space heater into the microwave outlet and it wouldn’t blow any breakers. So, for the next 3 years we lived in that little apartment and that little space heater kept us plenty warm enough over the winter months. Our second summer, we even got a portable air conditioner. When we finally moved out, we took our little portable heater and air conditioner with us. They had helped us out so much that there was no way that we would leave them behind.